While attempting "watchful waiting" my PSA spiked from 5 to 6. We agreed to do a biopsy. The results revealed a small evidence of cancer in one of 12 cores. My doctor and I agreed to continue to watch it, but the PSA spike again - over 10. After further discussion, I have agreed to do the surgery (PSA dropped back to 7, but it seems unwise to expect it to continue to drop). Waiting for it to be scheduled, and NOT looking forward to the subsequent recovery process.
I will update this story often, as it is just beginning, and the numbers seem a little different from other stories I have read.
I decided to have the surgery. It is scheduled for mid-May. I am, like some others, more concerned about the recovery period than I am the procedure. Will update again when the time is closer and share any post operative news that seems relevant.
The surgery was successful. A week with a catheter was no picnic, but I survived the experience. There was some incontinence, but it has improved over time (I still dribble a little when out, so I am wearing adult diapers as a precaution, but 98% back to normal). The oddest thing that happened was a case of jock itch that was extremely persistent, but it may have just been a coincidence that it happened during the early part of my recovery. I was finally able to get rid of it with a fungicidal that applies wet while in the shower.
The surgery spared my nerves, so there is still sensation that can lead to erections. They do not last as long as I would like, but that may improve as time progresses. The doctor prescribed Cialis 5mg daily, but it gave me severe headaches, so I discontinued it after 3 days. According to my doctor, other meds have similar risks, so I'm, not sure if I will try anything else.
Ray's e-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org